ACL- Incidence and Prevention

The Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) is one of four major ligaments (ligaments connect bone to bone) of the knee joint that coordinate function and promote stability of the knee joint. The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is the most commonly injured knee ligament. In the United States there are between 100,000 and 200,000 ACL ruptures per year, with an annual incidence in the general population of approximately 1 in 3500, although the actual incidence may be higher. These numbers are steadily on the rise from year to year.

Sports that are more at risk for ACL tears are Soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, and basketball. Females are more likely than males. An estimated 70% of ACL injuries are sustained through non-contact mechanisms, while the remaining 30% result from direct contact. The classic ACL injury occurs during a non-contact event usually when decelerating, stopping suddenly, twisting, cutting, or jumping. Stretching, strengthening, agility work, and PEP programs are all preventative measures to decrease your risk of this injury.

There are many advantages to seeking help and guidance to prevent such a significant injury from occurring. At BREAKTHRU, we have developed a team of skilled Rehabilitation specialists and personal trainers to fit the needs of the individual client to decrease the risk of injury. We make sure that the patient has exceptional biomechanics and functional movement patterns to not only decrease the likelihood of injury, but to enhance the client’s athletic ability. We have a strong relationship between therapy and fitness that enhances the quality of treatment and provides an aspect of health and wellness you do not find at other facilities.

The staff here at BREAKTHRU provides a winning combination to get you back on the field and keep you at the top of your game!

Dr. Kyle Hadden PT, DPT, Cert. MDT, OCS