You Now have Greater CHoice and Control of your Health Care
See a Physical THerapist without a Physician Prescription or Referral
In 2003, the state of New Jersey passed “direct access” laws regarding physical therapy in an effort to help reduce healthcare costs. Direct Access means that you can do directly to a licensed physical therapy provider for evaluation and treatment without a doctors referral. Additionally, you have the right to choose which physical therapy provider you go to, even if you are directed to go elsewhere.
In other words, the government made it acceptable for individuals to go straight to a physical therapy provider of their choice and receive the resources and treatment they require, without a physician prescription or referral required.
Some of the major advantages for patients to utilize Direct Access include:
- Quicker Access for the treatment you need and deserve
- Reduction in overall out-of-pocket costs by reducing general practitioner visits
- Seeing a physical therapist first, in many cases, will result in fewer overall treatment sessions
- Enhanced Patient-Provider relationship
- Empowers you to take control of your health by choosing the approach that best fits your needs
Guidelines for Direct Access In New Jersey are as follows:
A physical therapist shall refer a patient to a health care professional licensed to practice dentistry podiatry or medicine and surgery in this State or other appropriate licensed health care professional:
- When the physical therapist doing the examination evaluation or intervention has reason to believe that physical therapy is contraindicated, or symptoms or conditions are present that require services outside the scope of practice of the physical therapist; or
- When the patient has failed to demonstrate reasonable progress within thirty (30) days of the date of the initial treatment.
In addition, the licensed physical therapist shall inform the patient's licensed health care professional of record regarding the patient's plan of care not more than thirty (30) days from the date of initial treatment of functional limitation or pain. In the event there is no identified licensed health care professional of record, the licensed physical therapist shall recommend that the patient consult with a licensed health care professional of the patient's choice
At Breakthru, we value and believe in the importance of the team approach in managing your care, including the timely communication to other members of your healthcare team. We will always notify your physician of our evaluation findings and provide updates on the plan of care as needed.
If you have any questions, please contact us at any of our locations.Request Appointment