Physical therapy is typically required following orthopedic surgery to facilitate complete and optimal recovery. Physical therapy helps patients regain full mobility, recover faster, and heal properly. It is important to start moving as soon as safely allowed after surgical procedures, and physical therapists are trained in post-op protocols to help you return to your activities as soon as possible.
What surgeries can physical therapy help me recover from?
Physical therapists help patients rehabilitate after a variety of orthopedic procedures, including:
- Knee, hip, and shoulder joint replacements
- Rotator cuff repairs
- ACL, MCL, and/or meniscal repairs
- Arthroscopic knee and/or hip surgeries
- Ligament and tendon repairs
- Nerve releases
- Neck and back surgery such as fusion, laminectomy, decompression, and discectomy
- Surgical fixation of fractures
How can physical therapy help after surgery?
Physical therapists understand the limitations of surgery so you can be pushed in the appropriate way to quicken your recovery and avoid post-op complications. There are many benefits of post-surgical physical therapy, including:
- Improving surgical outcomes
- Improving circulation
- Preventing blood clots
- Reducing the risk of infection
- Optimizing range of motion and strength
- Pain control/management
After surgery, your physical therapist will use a combination of treatment techniques to regain motion and reduce pain, swelling, and stiffness. These treatments include:
- Education and training for assistive devices such as crutches or braces
- Manual therapy
- Soft tissue and/or joint mobilizations
- Flexibility and range of motion activities
- Gait and balance training
- Therapeutic exercise and functional strength training
- Endurance and cardiovascular exercise
- Modalities to reduce swelling and pain
If you are planning to undergo surgery for an orthopedic condition, call Breakthru Physical Therapy + Fitness today to schedule your post-surgical evaluation.
Please complete the form below and someone will be in touch within 24 hours to schedule your desired appointment within the next 24-48 hours.