Manual therapy is a specialized treatment that physical therapists use that involves specific, hands-on techniques without the assistance of devices or machines. Our therapists are trained in manual therapy techniques to ease pain and tension and help individuals return to everyday living without symptoms. Manual therapy techniques are utilized in most physical therapy treatment plans.
What effects does manual therapy have?
Manual therapy can be used for a variety of different treatment goals. Some of the most common reasons physical therapists use manual therapy include to:
- Improve tissue extensibility
- Increase range of motion
- Mobilize or manipulate soft tissues and joints
- Induce relaxation
- Change muscle function
- Modulate pain
- Reduce soft tissue swelling, inflammation, or movement restriction
What issues can manual therapy treat?
Manual therapy is commonly used for injuries and pain coming from the spine, including acute and chronic back pain. Though the technique is often implemented to treat a wide variety of issues, including:
- Neck pain
- Upper extremity problems in the hand, wrist, elbow, or shoulder
- Lower extremity problems in the hip, knee, ankle, or foot
- Accident-related injuries
- Work-related injuries
- Muscle spasms
- Reduced mobility and flexibility
What are some specific manual therapy techniques?
Our therapists are trained in various manual therapy techniques to address your specific injury. Some of these techniques include:
- Soft tissue mobilization to relax muscle tension, trigger points, and break up scar tissue
- Joint mobilizations to increase range of motion and reduce pain
- Joint manipulations to improve mobility and normalize muscle tone
- Muscle energy techniques to lengthen shortened muscles
If you are dealing with pain or injury that might benefit from manual therapy, contact Breakthru Physical Therapy + Fitness or schedule an appointment here.
Please complete the form below and someone will be in touch within 24 hours to schedule your desired appointment within the next 24-48 hours.