Concussions are brain injuries that occur during rapid changes in movement, such as whiplash or when the head is directly hit. A concussion may or may not involve loss of consciousness, and depending on which area of the brain suffers an injury, problems with brain function can occur.
What Types of Injuries Cause Concussions?
Concussions have a variety of different causes, including:
- Falls (the leading cause of concussions)
- Work accidents (falls, head trauma)
- Sports injuries to the head or neck
- Violent events (physical abuse, being too close to a blast or explosion, or a direct blow to the head or face)
What Are the Symptoms of a Concussion?
There are many symptoms related to concussions that can affect your physical, emotional, and mental well-being. Some symptoms occur immediately, and some may not appear until months after a concussion.
Common symptoms that occur immediately include:
- Dizziness and difficulty with balance and coordination
- Nausea and vomiting
- Fatigue and increased sleepiness
- Double or blurred vision
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Difficulty with short or long-term memory
- Confusion and slowed processing speed (“brain fog”)
Some concussion symptoms do not go away in the expected time frame. They may need further testing and treatment by a team of healthcare providers, including a physical therapist.
How Can Physical Therapy Help?
At Breakthru Physical Therapy + Fitness, our team of professionals is trained to evaluate and treat many concussion-related problems. During your evaluation, we will assess your neurological, orthopedic, and cardiovascular systems to best develop a treatment plan that addresses your particular symptoms.
A typical treatment program for concussion will involve a combination of the following:
- Education regarding rest and recovery
- Exercises to improve strength and endurance
- Cardiovascular exercise to improve tolerance
- Activities to improve balance and symptoms of dizziness
- Manual therapy to reduce the intensity and frequency of headaches
- Training for return to normal activities and sport
If you have suffered a concussion and are dealing with symptoms or have not been able to return to work or sport, contact us today to get started with an evaluation to get back to your normal activities!
Please complete the form below and someone will be in touch within 24 hours to schedule your desired appointment within the next 24-48 hours.