Concussions are often associated with contact sports, falls, or accidents and are a type of traumatic brain injury caused by a blow or jolt to the head. Though commonly regarded as short-term injuries, concussions can have lasting effects and disrupt daily life. Traditional concussion care typically focuses on rest and medication, but recent approaches highlight the benefits of physical therapy in rehabilitation.
While concussions are often characterized by immediate symptoms such as headache, dizziness, or blurred vision, they can also lead to prolonged issues like difficulty concentrating, balance problems, and even emotional changes. The brain’s complex and delicate nature makes it essential to approach concussion rehabilitation with expert care and precision. We established a comprehensive physical therapy program at Breakthru Physical Therapy + Fitness in Turnersville, NJ, to aid optimal concussion recovery.
The Role of Physical Therapy in Concussion Management
Every concussion rehabilitation program at Breakthru begins with a thorough assessment, ensuring each individual’s unique symptoms and challenges are addressed. Integral aspects of physical therapy for concussion recovery include:
- Vestibular Rehabilitation: One of the primary areas affected post-concussion is the vestibular system, which is responsible for balance and spatial orientation. Tailored exercises help restore balance, reduce dizziness, and improve coordination, making daily activities and movement safer.
- Cervical Spine Treatment: Many concussion patients report neck pain or stiffness. Our therapists employ manual techniques, stretches, and strengthening exercises to address cervical spine issues, offering relief and restoring neck function.
- Visual Coordination Training: Some individuals experience visual tracking or focus challenges post-concussion. Targeted exercises help enhance eye and brain coordination, improving visual function.
- Cognitive Rehabilitation: Concentration, memory, and other cognitive functions can be impacted by a concussion. Physical therapy can help to regain these cognitive skills through specific strategies and exercises.
- Return-to-Play Protocols: For athletes eager to return to their sport, Breakthru PT offers a structured protocol to ensure they can safely re-engage in physical activity without risking further injury.
Who Should Seek Physical Therapy After a Concussion?
While every concussion case is unique, the following groups might particularly benefit from physical therapy:
- Athletes: Sports-related concussions are common. Tailored physical therapy can help athletes recover fully and safely return to play.
- Accident Survivors: Whether from falls, car accidents, or other mishaps, those who’ve sustained concussions can find relief and restore function through physical therapy.
- Chronic Concussion Sufferers: Some individuals experience prolonged or recurring symptoms. For them, ongoing physical therapy can be instrumental in managing and alleviating these challenges.
The Breakthru Advantage
We understand that no two concussions are the same. Breakthru Physical Therapy offers personalized care plans, taking into account each patient’s unique symptoms, challenges, and recovery goals. Our commitment to patients with concussions is multifaceted:
- Evidence-Based Practice: We prioritize techniques and strategies grounded in research, ensuring patients receive the most up-to-date care.
- Interdisciplinary Collaboration: Understanding that concussions affect various domains, we liaise with other healthcare professionals, from neurologists to psychologists, providing well-rounded care.
- Education: We believe in empowering our patients. Individuals are better equipped to manage symptoms and understand their recovery through education about their condition.
Schedule an Appointment Today
Concussions, while often temporary, can significantly impact your quality of life. However, you can fully recover with the proper guidance, tools, and therapeutic interventions. At Breakthru Physical Therapy + Fitness, our mission is to support patients in Turnersville, NJ, throughout their concussion recovery journey, offering expertise, compassion, and unwavering commitment to their well-being. To schedule an appointment, please call 856.227.1440 or click SCHEDULE APPOINTMENT at the top right corner of our website.