Are you struggling with shoulder pain or weakness? It could signify a rotator cuff injury, a common yet debilitating condition. At Breakthru Physical Therapy – Medford, near Tabernacle, we specialize in providing personalized and effective physical therapy for shoulder injuries.
Understanding Rotator Cuff Injuries
The rotator cuff is a group of muscles and tendons that surround the shoulder joint, keeping the head of your upper arm bone firmly within the shallow socket of the shoulder. Injuries to this area can result from acute incidents like falls or chronic wear and tear, especially in athletes or individuals performing repetitive overhead motions.
Rotator cuff injuries can manifest through a range of symptoms, depending on the severity of the injury and individual differences, including:
- Pain: Pain is often felt deep in the shoulder and may become more pronounced when lifting the arm, especially overhead or when reaching behind the back.
- Weakness: There may be a noticeable weakness in the shoulder, making it difficult to perform everyday activities that involve lifting or rotating the arm.
- Limited Range of Motion: The injury can limit the range of motion in the shoulder, making it hard to move the arm as freely as before. This includes difficulty in activities such as combing hair, reaching for objects, or dressing.
- Crackling Sensation: A crackling or grinding sensation in the shoulder sometimes occurs when moving the arm in certain ways.
- Difficulty Sleeping: Pain can often be more noticeable at night, mainly when lying on the affected side, leading to difficulties in sleeping.
- Swelling and Tenderness: The shoulder may exhibit swelling or tenderness, especially at the injury site.
- Clicking or Popping Sound: Clicking or popping sounds may occur when moving the injured shoulder.
It’s important to consult with a professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan if you are experiencing symptoms of a rotator cuff injury. Early intervention can often lead to better outcomes in managing and healing rotator cuff injuries.
The Role of Physical Therapy
Physical therapy plays a crucial role in the recovery and management of rotator cuff injuries. At Breakthru Physical Therapy, our multifaceted approach is tailored to each patient’s needs. Here’s how we address these injuries:
- Pain Management: Initially, the focus is on reducing pain and inflammation. This might involve techniques like cold therapy, heat therapy, or ultrasound combined with gentle exercises to maintain mobility without straining the injured area.
- Strengthening Exercises: As the pain subsides, the focus shifts to strengthening the muscles around the shoulder to stabilize the joint and prevent future injuries. Our therapists design exercises that target specific muscles of the rotator cuff and the surrounding areas.
- Flexibility and Range of Motion: We employ stretching exercises and techniques like manual therapy to improve flexibility and decrease stiffness in the shoulder.
- Posture and Body Mechanics Education: Improper posture and body mechanics can contribute to rotator cuff injuries. Our therapists educate patients on maintaining proper posture and using correct body mechanics during daily activities to prevent re-injury.
- Customized Home Exercise Programs: Customized home exercise programs are provided to reinforce the work done during sessions and accelerate the healing process.
Start Healing Today!
Rotator cuff injuries, if left untreated, can significantly impact your quality of life. However, with the right physical therapy approach, recovery is not just possible; it’s probable. At Breakthru Physical Therapy – Medford, near Tabernacle, NJ, we are committed to providing our patients with the highest level of care and support, helping them return to their everyday activities pain-free and stronger than before. Contact us today or schedule an appointment online and take the first step toward healing.